© Incomplete Perfexion
Created by Philson
Tuesday 27 September 2011

Epipheo

I found something really great today, and I am compelled to share it with all of you. An epiphany, lol.




Pretty neat huh? I truly believe that this will be the future of advertising. A simple, clean and casual way to share what you are trying to say effectively. It's amazing. I would probably pay they to do any advertising for any business I may have in future.

I'm not sure why I've been getting super interested in presentations and design lately. It seems that I really want to design stuff and make things look good. I guess I was inspired by Steve Jobs stepping down from Apple? It was only then, that I looked at really what he has done, and the Apple philosophy which shows clearly in every product they put out.

I guess we (or at least me) are headed into an opposite territory. It used to be the case that moms would tell their daughters that they should find a smart, capable husband with-for lack of a better word-substance. And so everybody and their friends would go to school, study hard and get a job, so they got the substance.

Well coming from that standpoint, I'm beginning to realise that looks and presentations are very important too! So what if you got substance, how do you differentiate from others so similar as you? And not everyone is good enough to appreciate substance, making it a hard quality to sell on. I mean just look at all of Apple's products. They have the typical, boring hardware specs that everybody would expect to see. But they look gorgeous. So they sell like hot cakes.

So what I feel like is that as computing professionals (to be), it can be really hard to separate yourself and differentiate from the crowd. You know coding? Well, so does a boatload of people waiting to do it at half your cost. Think you are clever and got the best algorithms and logic? Most efficient and fast? One day some foreigner will come along and put you out of business.

But if for example, you simply make your layout and presentation simple yet beautiful looking, design a sweet intuitive UI, couple in with a little bit of marketing and branding for legal security, you have your success formula.

So right now, what I really feel for me is this: "Now you've got the substance, work on the presentation". Because looks are very important too. I wouldn't compare looks versus substance, as they are in different categories, and it's like comparing an fruit to a mini van. And also, in many ways they are complimentary. You need a perfect mix of both to really shine.


For those of you without substance though. I suggest you work on that first...

0 comments - Speak up!:

Post a Comment

Thoughts on this post, the weather, sports, news. Or just to say hi! :)